Where did you take this photo?
the photo was taken in the street of my home city dhaka bangladsh .. i am passionate photo artist always try to make new reality through my images .. some times it may push in direct shoot and some times may post process to make third meanings
What time of day?
i am lucky to captured this stunning image other than the conventional documentation .at early morning in monsoon i was waiting for bus to go photo outing in other side of the dhaka city . my canon EOS 500 D with EF zoom 55 – 250 mm f/ 4 – 5.6 was on the shoulder . reflection of a white apartment under the logged water of previous night rainfall inside a big hole in the middle of the street interpret me as a different view . very quickly i captured this scene in my camera because the bus were leaving that place which i use to days photo travel . the photo was taken 28 july2012 at 7:36 am .
Anything worth sharing about lighting?
i photographed this scene to interpret the viewers mind by telling a story about the social problem and contrast of life leading in the city hi rise apartment growing rapidly day by day for rich man but the public roads are broken and rain water created water logging the city which is the curse for common people to smooth movement . so the photo serves the story with lot of negative message and protest but way of my presentation of course in positive and different i think.
What equipment did you use? (Camera, lens, tripod?, flash?, other?)
my favourite personality Henry Cartier Bresson world renowned photo journalist and the pioneer of street photography told ” there is lot of changes in the equipments of photography that is not my headache but photography remains photography , this is my passion.” very simple equipments used here to take the shot – camera canon EOS 500 D and lens EFS 55 – 250 mm . nothing else ………
What inspired you to take this photo?
I inspires to capture this image from flash feelings of my mind which comes from divine , the contrast white reflection under deep water through the hole ( frame) on the broken street in virgin dawn light gave me the inspiration to create this terrific image . the photo is well balanced in the combination of frame , angle , composition , lighting with strong story of city life through the aesthetical language of photography .
Did you do any post-processing? if yes, tell us about it!
Yes . I am always try to take photography from first stage to deeper to deepest stage with applying my talent of conception , unusual thought and timeless imagination like a poet to make new reality and expressing third meaning to interpret the viewers imagination so that by entering my frame they can travel in the heaven of imagination and after that come back the fist message for taking decision .
Here the fighter plane added in the frame to make the story further strong with diversity to make documentary art .
What equipment do you normally have in your bag?
It’s true that for pictorial photography like documentary , commercial , photojournalism etc the equipment play a simple role for technical quality and some other privilege but ‘brain behind the camera’ – photographer create the powerful image with strong story from his talent mind and power of creative sense .
Being a photo artist I normally carry in my bag 2 camera body – one must for wide angel lens , zoom lenses , handy tripod , rain protective cloths, flash light and other suitable accessories ..
Any advice for others trying to capture something similar? (The more specifics the better)
Photography is the mirror of the planet mirror of the universe . myriad of subject matter exhibiting and floats surrounding you . make your minds eye strong to see these and photographing through using the camera with light sensitive materials and interpret the world in different way .
Lastly I believe the 4 P is the photography – P : planning P: preparation P : passions and P : perseverance
Thanks with regard
Abdul malek babul FBPS
You do not paint features- you paint what is in the mind
So said Leornado Da Vinci.
Mr Abdul Malek Babul happens to believe in this axiom and has been a dreamer of different way since his childhood. As a keen observer of nature he has been able to go through the divergent images of life where in forms, sound, lyric and music has have had a long lasting impression so etched out during those early formative period. Therefore, he was able to translate the same from his inner vision on to the make-believe canvas of his soul. This was a passing phase when as a strapping child he had ample opportunity to discover the beauty of his village that could best be compared to a picture post card from a far off land. Having passed the college life he got himself admitted into Armanitola youth welfare centre for a short hand and typing course. Soon there after he was amazed to find some of the senior students of photography course experimenting with light and chemicals to form visual Images on the piece of blank paper . This illusion captivated his young mind and he was forever sold to the idea. He bid farewell to his short hand course and enrolled himself along with his two friends for a diploma course in photography in spite of strong objections from the father side who was the religious teacher. A very closed friend of his broke open his earthen piggy bank and handed over nine hundred taka . This was spent on buying his first camera – Minolta Compact. The excitement of capturing images on film was stupendous. Over the years he has felt that photographs are not merely interpretative but a translation of mind to soul and taking photographs has been a profoundly spiritual experience.
Abdul Malek Babul has successfully undergone several advanced photographic workshops including teacher training courses under renowned teachers from Great Britain and Germany. His deep appreciation for aesthetics combined with his experience, precision and skill have led him to emerge as one of the Bangladeshi most important professional photographers over the past thirty years.
Note worthy Photographic Achievements:
* He achieved “Fellowship the highest Professional Degree in Photography.”
* He was the former principal of Bangladesh Photographic Institute (BPI) and the Vice President of the Bangladesh Photographic Society (BPS). He is a life member of BPS.
* He achieved more than twenty five national and international prizes including gold , grand and first prizes.
* Many of his fine art photographs have been exhibited across the countries of Asia, Europe, Australia and the USA continent.
* He was featured more than one in the prestigious New Internationalist education calendar from Europe among of the twelve leading photo artist around the world.
* US AID (United States Agency for International Development) in Bangladesh has published his work, which has had worldwide circulation through their web site as the face of Bangladesh .
* He has held two of exhibitions on experimental photography “ photo montage” at the national gallery of BPS and the Alliance Francaise in Dhaka.
* He is the proud author of illustrative photography book named ” the revelation of mystique St. Martin Island “ & a photography book “ my land my inspiration “ in photo montage medium.
* He has had the rare honour of being selected as a member of the jury over seen different national and international photography contest.
* He has participated as member of the Bangladesh delegation in India International Photographic conference.
* He is a writer of photographic feature , critic from aesthetical view . He loses himself into heavenly bliss of experimental photography in order to reach nirvana .
* He has served lesson on photography during long time as a dedicative teacher by holding the post of Principal of Bangladesh photographic institute ( BPI ).
* Bangladesh Photographic Society adorned him with rare honour Photographic Personality’ for his exceptional contribution in the field of photography movement and educational development in Bangladesh.
* His hobbies are writing short histories , poem , drama and articles . He is proud of his mentors Ejaj Khan and Alokchitrcharja (Sir) M A Beg.
Abdul Malek Babul FBPS, more than 50 years , comes from a noble Muslim family of Bangladesh . A proud father of two son . Presently serving as a class one officer in medical photography department of Bangladesh armed forces medical service .
As a whole he is a dedicative and passionate photo artist by blood and by heart.